Sunday, December 9, 2012

The End of An Era



It was a great, enjoyable ride till it lasted.

Thanks Manny Pacquiao for all the memorable fights and for making me a hardcore boxing fan. Well, not so hardcore I suppose as I don’t think I still have the stomach to watch or read about boxing again, at least for a while.

I know it’s coming. Heck, I even predicted it a few weeks before the fight. But I found myself unprepared for all the excruciating feelings associated with a loss like that.

Everything went slow-mo and I was in complete denial. It can't be Pacquiao face-flat on the canvass, not moving, for a couple of seconds.

I was used to seeing his opponents doing that part in many of his fights. It can't be Pacquiao. Just give him the chance to get up, beat the 10-second count. Please. Get up.

Still he remained there. His trainer Freddie Roach, cornermen, the ring doctor coming over him, checking him, all those standard medical procedure bit.

I downed a tall glass of whiskey. I watched the replay. The vicious fucking counter overhand right did it. And there goes the man. There goes Manny Pacquiao. There goes the end of an era of boxing.

I went to the Norkis Park after that, played a couple of pick up basketball games. All they talked about was the fight. I went to a corner away from them. I focused on winning my games and I did won both of them.

I still don't want to talk about it. My boxing fan heart is bleeding, hurting bad, testing my hardcore boxing resolve.

I'll be back when I'm back, more prepared for something like this. But not now or tomorrow or for the coming days, maybe weeks, or months. I don't know. Just not right now. 

Anyway, for all that has happened, good or bad, in boxing, that’s the reality of the sport. And that makes it so compelling.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment