Monday, March 7, 2011

Welcoming a Summer of Nerdy Solitude

Well, I missed those years when every summer was two-month worth of mardi gras days. You could spend the summer jumping seamlessly from one fiesta to another. I am not saying I can't go back to spending my mardi gras-type of summer days that way. I can. Just that, I no longer want to do them, choosing a nerdy solitude or sometimes with some of my nerdy mates, on a beach somewhere, enjoying some laughs, drinking anything they want to drink (they chose tequila and Red Horse), gorged on grilled pork, chicken and fish, someone brought spaghetti, and washed the food down with cold coke or a deep glass of cold beer. They swam on the pool, others on the beach. I stayed in the cottage minding my tequila, and thinking of swimming early the next morning.
We talked about the situation in North Africa with Sir Jobs and Lindsay's husband, who just arrived from the Middle East a month back. Lennel called me for a pickup game of beach volleyball. I figured I'm still fairly good at it, especially when fueled by a bottle of tequila and a whole lechon manok. We lost but t'was good fun and we gained new friends.
It's evening, finally. My mates packed up their bags. Some have other commitments or dates that evening. I downed a glass of Red Horse, and poured another one. They asked me if I'm coming. Told them I'll stay a while. I'll probably go in the morning. Are you sure? Yes, I said. I still want to enjoy the view (I wanted to add, I hate to go back to that cancer-filled air in the city, but only said it in my head.) But it's almost pitch black here. There's no view to enjoy this time of the day, you silly. I can see a bit, Luv, if I look harder. Besides, in a few hours, the sun will rise again. Not in 10 hours, darling. Be sure you don't do anything funny here. I am not in a funny mood right now. Don't worry, I said. Okay, folks let's make sure Jonas has enough food and likker. And let's go back to our cancer-filled city. That's Jonas coinage, by the way! Thanks, so you can now read minds and you're also very thoughtful. Thank you. Sir Jobs, please tell the wife not to hit on the gas pedal harder, I want to see you all Monday morning. You, too, they said, almost in unison.
I lighted a fag, and saw them disappearing from my vision.
Around 2AM, the resort was absorbed by silence, except a distant sound of yodeling that didn't belong to the beach's natural symphony, breaking the stillness of the surroundings. It didn't take much long when the body worked up on its own. The brain took command and I remembered this particular girl's smile, which I associated with a song I can't now recall. Met her way back then. Still wore the purity robe that time. My whole body though was screaming for fresh good air of freedom, from all pretensions in the system and the people populating the system like fucking germs. I don't know why she liked me. Maybe the robe of fucking purity has something to do with it, or maybe the germs. Let my thoughts wander around her and those short crazy lustful moments we spent together, till finally succumbed to sleep.
Ever a light sleeper, I woke up at the first stirring of dawn. Lighted a Marlboro, got my camera and took a couple of snapshots.

Cripes, that was my first sunrise in years. Think I should do this more often.

8 comments:

  1. who is that girl u remmember?

    =kyle=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just some girl =Kyle=... She sometimes invades my thoughts without warning, or when I am most vulnerable to wet dreams (apologize for my French). Thanks for dropping me a question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh?! lucky girl..

    =kyle=

    ReplyDelete
  4. where is she now?
    im kinda interested of that girl.(wink)

    =kyle=

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohw Lyn as you wish. LoL

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'mon Lovelies! You're now turning my sodding blog into a chatroom, and I'm glad you did. Or this blog will always be a stuffed frog with laryngitis, as the good P. G. Wodehouse would call it. Now, giving your proper names when you next drop a comment would be a nice progress on these tiny little parts of the cyberspace, awryt?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weeh..storyaheee.!

    ReplyDelete